A healthy diet is vital for maintaining a healthy lifestyle at any point of life but more important when you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. When you eat healthily, you feel good, and your baby gets the all-important nutrients they require in the womb.
A baby’s source of nourishment depends on what a woman is eating or drinking at the time of pregnancy. Therefore, it is often recommended that a mother’s diet be must include various healthy food and beverages to offer the vital nutrients that a baby requires for its growth and development.
Overall, always aim for a balanced diet with a perfect mix of all five different food groups. This includes
- Vegetables and legumes
- Cereals and bread
- Dairy products
- Meat and poultry
Furthermore, a pregnant woman requires more calcium, iron, protein, and folic acid when compared to a woman who is not pregnant.
Let us know how these four key ingredients play an essential role in the nutrition of pregnant women.
Here is a nutrition guide for pregnant women only!
- Folic acid: It is also called Folate and is a Vitamin B that is essential for preventing congenital disabilities in the baby’s brain and spinal cord. Experts often recommend that a woman who is planning for pregnancy must take a vitamin supplement having 400 mg of folic acid in a single day at least a month before getting pregnant. Some of the food sources containing folic acid are leafy green vegetables, beans, citrus foods, bread, pasta, etc.
- Calcium: This is a mineral that is utilized for building the bone and teeth of a baby. When pregnant women do not consume the required calcium, then the mineral is drawn from the mother’s bone. Some of the familiar food sources of calcium are milk, cheese, salmon with bones, yogurt.
- Iron: A pregnant woman needs about 27 mg of iron every day, which is double the amount required when she is not pregnant. Extra minerals are needed to make more amount of blood so that the baby is supplied with oxygen. Foods like meat, dried beans, and iron-fortified cereals are the best source of iron.
- Protein: It is highly required for women at the time f pregnancy. It is also called the builder nutrient as it assists in building the vital organs of the baby. Some of the common foods like nuts, tofu, meat, and fish are a good source of protein.
What are some of the essential foods pregnant women should include in their diet?
The goal of pregnant women must be consuming nutritious food maximum time. To enhance prenatal nutrition, pregnant women should put emphasis on five different food groups. Have a look at them:
- Fruits and vegetables: During pregnancy, women should primarily focus on fruits and vegetables, predominantly during the second and the third trimester. They are low in calories and mainly filled with fiber, minerals, and vitamins.
- Lean protein: A pregnant woman must include a good protein source in every meal to support the baby’s growth.
- Dairy products: A pregnant woman should aim for about 3-4 servings of dairy products every day.
- Whole grain: High in energy, these foods offer fiber, B-vitamins, and iron. A pregnant women’s carbohydrate choice comes from whole grains like pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.
So, now when you know what food to include in a pregnant women’s nutrition diet, let us know about some of the foods you should limit taking.
- Fish with a high amount of mercury.
- Unpasteurized foods
- Raw meat
With a healthy and nutritious diet, you will have a perfectly nourished pregnancy.